T-Bird's Guide to Life



This is T's space to share her passions and bring her stories to life. All posts are by T unless otherwise marked.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Board of Memories



              So, we've had this board since before I was born, and recently, I was looking at it and realized how many memories it held. So, naturally, I thought "I should write a blog post about that, because, why not?'. The board is not very big, and we've used it for lots of things like something to do our nails on, build lego sets on, be a hard back for a piece of paper so we can draw, etc. There are lots of imperfections, including dried drops of dark red and light blue nail polish, countless crayon scribbles, dents, nicks and circular indentations. These are what trigger the memories.
              To start, the nail polish. When I was probably seven or eight (it's a rather blurred memory), my friend Audi (full name Audriana) were out on my back deck, painting our toenails. Mom hadn't wanted us to get nail polish on the deck, so we sat on the board to do it. As you can imagine, we were not the most careful, dripping several drops on the board. I remember it being warm and very sunny outside, probably sometime during the summer. It's a nice memory.
              As I mentioned before, there are crayon and marker scribbles all over the board. Although I cannot remember any specific times, I do remember how much I used it when drawing on loose leaf paper. Nowadays, most of the drawing I do is in my sketchbook, so there's no need for the board. The thick sketchbook provides enough back to draw on.
              Now the circular indentations and other nicks in the board. The indentations are from Mom hammering grommets into some cards, and needing something sturdy, to work on. Not really a memory I guess, but I thought I should include why they're there anyway.
              Lastly, there are several small nicks all over the board, these being from my young self playing carpenter or some sort of inventor game involving wood and my toolbox. I had several real tools, including a real hammer, which I liked to turn over and bang the claw side into the board, pretending to be building some amazing masterpiece.
              While none of these are really very important memories, I think it's cool that the board reminds me of them all the same. And who knows what memories the board will help create in the future? :)

                                                                                                         Torilinn


No comments: